APX is looking for an Investment Associate (fulltime).
You will be part of the Dealflow & Selection team – the first point of contact for startups interested in an APX investment. The team is responsible for all dealflow activities and measures and continuously improves quality and processes. Further, they operate a thorough multi-step selection process that identifies the best investments to pursue. The team is also responsible for closing our pre-seed investments.
Scope and Goals of your Role
We invest in 3-5 highly promising pre-seed or seed startups from Europe and Israel every month. Your job is to find and select the best startups for us to invest in and close the deal. In your role, you will interact with startup founders on a daily basis, and it will be your responsibility to improve and shape the best processes to allow them to get access to the APX investment, and us to select the best teams.
For dealflow, you will utilize, structure, operate and optimize the most successful sourcing channels. We particularly focus on our network of alumni founders, outstanding university students, brilliant other founder networks, business angels, or VCs. We ask you to constantly refine and optimize our dealflow efforts, continuously testing, implementing and improving specific tools, filters, partners and new ideas.
For selection, the team designs and executes thorough processes in order to identify the strongest founder teams and business ideas. You examine investment opportunities and challenge founders and their ideas based on a solid understanding of digital B2B and B2C business models across industries. Based on the extensive analysis throughout the selection process, you compose an investment proposal for the APX Investment Committee to make an investment decision.
For closing, you execute our pre-seed investments in a straightforward, smooth closing process.
You work closely with the leadership team and your colleagues in Communications, Venture Development, and Portfolio Management. You will report to the Senior Investment Manager responsible for dealflow and selection.
Responsibilities and Ownership of your Role
- Finding the best teams
(1) Source and screen pre-seed startups to join APX from multiple channels
(2) Coordinate and roll out structured and first-class referral programs
(3) Represent APX at events across Europe
- Selecting the best teams
(1) Manage digital forms and databases
(2) Operate and refine our digital selection tools
(3) Initiate and operate rapid due diligence process
- Drafting investment proposals
- Closing deals
- Entrepreneurial spirit and proactive “can-do” attitude
- An open-minded, curious, and hands-on mentality
- A structured way of working and navigating smartly through projects and processes in a dynamic environment
- The ability to take ownership
- Striving for excellence, while maintaining a pragmatic approach
- Commitment to details and high work ethics
- Outspoken and excited to represent APX
- Authentic and service-oriented
- Ready to collaborate with your colleagues
- Self-reflective and able to continuously challenge and improve methods and implement effective learning loops
Your Skills and Experience
- In general, we encourage smart fast learners to apply, independent of their academic background, that have excelled in business or academia before
- While this role does not require years of specific work experience, certain backgrounds improve the fit:
(1) Work experience either as a startup founder/core employee of a startup or as an investor
(2) In-depth knowledge of internet and mobile technologies and business models
(3) Good knowledge of financial modeling and venture capital
(4) Grown network in the startup ecosystem, ideally beyond Berlin
- Excellent communication skills. Fluent in English. Any additional EU language is beneficial
- Gain ownership of an integral part of APX operations as a key member of a high-performance team
- Exploit substantial creative leeway to carry out smart ideas
- Become part of a forward-thinking, cooperative, international, and diverse team of colleagues and leadership
- Work from a high-energy, fast-moving office location
- Connect with hungry founders at the forefront of technology
- Build and engage with a comprehensive network of stakeholders, including investors, shareholders, mentors, experts
- Competitive package, including biweekly personal Sharpist coaching and lots of other perks and benefits
Join us on our way to becoming Europe’s leading early-stage founder and tailormade accelerator program. We look forward to receiving your application. Please get in touch with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and make sure to include
- A few sentences on why you’d like to work at APX in this role
- Your resume
- The earliest date on which you can join (as soon as possible)