ThisThat have an existing Python backend & Swift iOS app, launched in January 2019. Our mission is to make asking questions fun and rewarding, through a gamified app where people feel their opinions are of worth and the answers they receive can be trusted. We have just joined APX and have the backing of a London VC. We’re looking to grow the tech team through hiring an experienced backend developer.
You’re an experienced engineer with excellent technical skills. You have spent several years honing your craft and you’re now ready to step up and lead development eﬀorts at an exciting early-stage venture. You are ambitious, a self-starter and eager to make a massive impact as one of the key first hires at ThisThat.
You have a pragmatic yet rigorous mindset – you move quickly, but thoughtfully – you understand the importance of building and testing new features week-on-week whilst also building a scalable product. You understand the constraints of start-up life, and how to make the right trade-oﬀs in pursuit of speed and good execution. You pride yourself on writing clean, elegant, and maintainable code.
You’re process-orientated and have excellent organisational skills, and you’re proactive and opinionated about design decisions.
You will own the back-end services. Your mission is six-fold:
- Complete the database migration: move ThisThat’s database from Firebase RTDB to Firebase Firestore fully
- Develop the backend services (database, servers, data migrations, background jobs) to both reach a high-performing infrastructure capable of supporting a smooth UX for tens of thousands of active users and serve the development of many new features.
- Drive pace, observe and set exacting standards for the technical team
- Get new versions of the iOS app out every 1-2 weeks – continue to develop the API, help connect it to the app and support the iOS developer.
- Identify bugs and squash them!
- Make sure the website is always up to date.
- 3-5y+ production experience of all stages of development
- Strong Python skills
- Strong in delivering app data using web frameworks such as Django, Rails etc.
- Experience of DevOps tools (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (AWS, GCP)
- Experience with NoSQL databases (Firestore, MongoDB)
- Experience in search solutions such as ElasticSearch
- 1-2yrs+ experience at a start-up / early-stage business
- Good Swift skills
- Engineering/computer science degree or related discipline
- Experience with core front-end languages such as CSS & HTML
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration tools, such as CircleCI
- Familiarity with git-flow branching model
- Familiarity with Android as well as iOS
- Interest/experience in Machine Learning
- Insanely collaborative