Founded in March 2018, APX is an early-stage cross-industries investor and tailormade accelerator in Berlin. We’re looking for a fulltime Investment Manager that works closely with our founders towards the end of our program, and afterwards, as well as with our investors network. Starting date 1 April 2019.
Scope and Goals of your role
We invest in 2-5 highly promising pre-seed or seed startups every month. The teams come from all over Europe, Israel and – in case of a meaningful APX contribution and impact – around the world. They build their businesses at the APX office for up to 6 months and engage with our tailormade Venture Development team to work on all investor readiness dimensions. We support the startups right then to secure follow-on funding, and also later on as part of our portfolio. Your job focuses on three main responsibilities: the first follow-on round of our startups, portfolio management, and our investors network.
We work closely with our companies after the tailormade program and want to build a long term relationship. As investment manager you are the first point of contact of our companies and represent APX in shareholder meetings and financing rounds. When our founders raise their first follow-on round from business angels and early-stage VCs towards the end our program, you help them to find the right financing strategy and to decide on the right type of investor. Furthermore, you negotiate deal terms for APX and advise our investment committee whether APX should participate in financing rounds of our companies. Through your close work with investors, you continuously expand and maintain the APX investors network. You are responsible to communicate with business angels, venture capital funds, and family offices. You develop and own structured processes, formats and events to enable our startups to find and work with the best investors.
You work particularly closely with other colleagues in Portfolio Management, Venture Development, and the leadership team.
You report to the Director of Finance & Portfolio.
Responsibilities and Ownership of your role
- First follow-on financing round
○ Share your insights on fundraising with the founders
○ Help the founders develop their financing strategy
○ Connect the founders with the right investors
○ Execute follow-on financing rounds on behalf of APX
○ Be ready to take a leadership role within investors group
- Portfolio Management
○ Regularly communicate with founders based on their reportings or ad hoc needs
○ Evaluate financing rounds and other shareholder related events and execute them on behalf of APX
○ Prepare quarterly reporting to shareholders
- Investor relations
○ Structure the investors network of business angels, venture capital funds, and family offices
○ Update investors on a regular and ad hoc basis, through online channels as well as at a personal level
○ Maintain and grow the investors network through personal contacts, formats, and events (hosting and attending)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and proactive “can-do” attitude
- Analytical, structured way of working in a very dynamic environment
- Open-minded, curious, and hands-on mentality
- Outspoken and excited to represent APX
- Authentic and service-oriented
- Self-reflective and able to continuously challenge and improve methods
Your Skills and Experience
- Work experience in venture capital or related industries
- In-depth knowledge of venture capital strategies, financing, and growth, including financial modeling, cap tables, term sheets, valuations, deal terms etc.
- Relevant network in the investors community and a strong desire to extend and build your and our network.
- Strong communication skills. Fluent in English (= team language). German language skills are advantageous.
- Gain ownership of an integral part of APX operations
- Exploit substantial creative leeway to carry out smart ideas
- Become part of a forward-thinking, cooperative, international, and diverse team of colleagues and leadership
- Work from a high-energy, fast-moving office location
- Connect with hungry founders at the forefront of technology
- Engage with a comprehensive network of stakeholders, especially investors (but also shareholders, mentors, experts)
Join us on our way to becoming Europe’s most ambitious early-stage founder and tailormade accelerator program. We look forward to receiving your application. Please get in touch with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and make sure to include
- A few sentences on why you’d like to work at APX in this role
- Your resume
- The earliest date on which you can join